Monday, June 16, 2008

something special

I felt pretty lousy this past week, so I did not really cook anything special. We ate takeout too much and the husband did make dinner one night. Sweet man. I have a backlog of food pictures and recipes but I thought I would try something different today and actually do a movie review of a movie I watched while sick! I have been wanting to see Bella for awhile now, since I heard about it last year, actually. Rarely, do I actually like a movie. I know that sounds snooty but it is true. I can watch and tolerate any movie that is not unnecessarily violent or smutty at all. I really enjoyed the movies Once (including the sound track!) and Mr. Bean's Holiday, which should put into perspective how nuts I really am. My Netflix queue is full of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and now Samurai Jack episodes and the occasional action movie for my husband.

Anyway, Bella was a complete treat for me to watch. I don't have anything bad to say about the movie and I certainly do not want to give anything away about the story, so I will just say that it is a must see. It is refreshing to see a movie where the characters are actually likable for a change and I am not put in a position to cheer on the bad guys. It seems there has been just a plethora of those types of movies in the past 5 years, right? The ones where the good guys are bank robbers... but bank robbing is a crime and stealing is wrong, right? Stealing is still wrong... right? No matter what Hollywood spoon (force) feeds us, it is still wrong to steal! The other big draw back to movies for me is sometimes the characters are so despicable I have a hard time caring what happens to them in the end. Cider House Rules comes to mind here - the characters lacked any real redemptive qualities, which is not true to life since ALL people have redemptive qualities, right?

Okay, so this is not so much a review of Bella as it is a rant on every other movie that is not Bella, or Once, or Mr. Bean's Holiday but the point remains, I was sick, I watched this movie and it was truly something special.

No comments: