Monday, June 9, 2008

pesto and homemade dog food

What a crazy weekend! Poor Pebbles got very sick to her little tummy on Thursday night which resulted in a trip to the emergency animal hospital and getting around 2 hours of sleep. I stayed home from work with her on Friday and I am now cooking for the dogs, too! As if they weren't spoiled enough, the beagles are eating homemade dog food - chicken and rice. I believe today is the last day that they are eating that. If you don't know, the homemade dog food is twice as much boiled white rice as boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast and is good for doggies with upset tum-tums. I decided that it was easier to feed it to both beagles than one, so they are both eating this. They love it. Dinner time has been transformed into a feeding frenzy of rice stuck to dog noses (remember that scene in "A Christmas Story" where the mom asked the little brother, Randy to eat like the little piggies eat and he has mashed potatoes up his nose? ... yeah, it's like that but with beagles and rice). Crazy beagles.

I bought a new, fancy garbage can this weekend. Sometime last week I broke yet another plastic garbage can lid while trying to clean the thing. My coworker (who also has a fancy stainless steel trash can due to breaking so many plastic ones) and I joked that we used to look at the fancy $100+ trash cans and wonder, "who buys this... who can afford a $100 trash can???" Well, now we know who. People who are totally frustrated as breaking cheap plastic trash can after trash can. Only mine was not $99, it was $60. Target is mush cheaper for these than Bed, Bath, and Beyond. By like $30. I threw the lid away to the old one and washed and Lysoled it thoroughly and put it in my sewing room. I was using a box for a trash can in there. I have actually been spiffing up the sewing room lately since it was really not cute at all.

Okay, on to the pesto pasta. I love it. I just love the taste of basil. And Parmesan cheese. It is a great summer dish since there is no oven involved.

Recipe time.

Pesto pasta
1 cup of fresh basil leaves
2 cloves of garlic peeled
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup of pine nuts
kosher salt
pepper
1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 pound of penne rigate (or some other tube pasta with ridges - ridges, must have ridges to hold the sauce on the pasta)

I use my blender for this. Place the olive oil in first, then the other ingredients except for the pasta. Pulse until it is a smooth paste and transfer to a bowl. Cook the pasta in well salted water according to directions. Drain the pasta but do not rinse. Add the hot pasta to the pesto sauce and toss to combine. The hot pasta will warm the sauce. I grilled chicken breast and sliced those. I like to garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and whole pine nuts. So, there you go.

1 comment:

SYNTHIA said...

Thanks for the wonderful idea!! I two small dogs and They love homemade food! Pasta #1!! all found a graet recipe on line...
Cheesy bacon biscuits

Dog Food Recipe Ingredients:
• 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/2 tsp. baking soda
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1 stick margarine, softened
• 2/3 cup brown sugar
• 1 egg, slightly beaten
• 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
• 1 1/2 cups regular oats, uncooked
• 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
• 2/3 cup wheat germ crumbled
• 1/2 lb. bacon, cooked crisp, drained, and
Dog Food Recipe Directions:
Combine flour, soda and salt; mix well and set aside. Cream butter and sugar; beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture, mixing well. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Drop dough by rounded teaspoons onto un-greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 16 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for a minute or so before removing to cooling rack.

On thing i don't understand Is i was told not to give dog bacon, do to the salt, but so many recipes require it? hummm? well any way thank you and you ever have more let me know!!!! Synthia, CA