Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Stock in a box


My husband wasn't feeling well yesterday, so I wanted to make him some homemade chicken noodle soup. Trouble is, it was a Monday night and to buy all the stuff after work and then make chicken noodle stuff from scratch would have put dinner time at about 12 midnight. That's really no good. So, I made "Somewhat-Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup" for my poor, sick hubby! Normally, I feel something close to a migraine when people talk about "semi-homemade" or "meals in a flash" but I thought I could change my tune and jump on this bandwagon and use mixed metaphors! I just think that cooking should not be done by a stop watch. Anyhoo... I used a rotisserie chicken from the deli, stock in a box, dried soup noodles, and fresh vegetables and herbs. It really did turn out nice. I served the soup with a good crusty bread. Not exactly as good as homemade but entirely fitting for a rainy, Monday night. I will say that the old adage I learned in culinary school of "garbage in, garbage out" applies here perhaps more than ever. That is to say, only very good boxed chicken broth will do. The very cheap stuff that is little more than yellow salt water with some animal fat added in will not yield a very good soup in the end.

No comments: