Thursday, April 10, 2008

buttermilk dressing and homemade croutons

Ok, so it doesn't look like much in this old (pickle?) jar on my kitchen counter but I really like this salad dressing. I love buttermilk for many reasons. This is a buttermilk herb vinaigrette, so I was bound to love it. I have the recipe written down but I was pretty sure it originally came from Martha Stewart Living. I looked around on the MS website but I could not find it. I like to give recipe credit where it is due. So, here is a recipe for buttermilk herb vinaigrette that may or may not be from MS Living.

Makes 1/2 cup

1/4 cup buttermilk
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup of chopped fresh herbs (I used Italian parsley, thyme and some chives)
Kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste

Combine buttermilk, garlic, salt, pepper, and vinegar and let macerate for 10 minutes. Slowly whisk in olive oil to create an emulsion. Mix in herbs.


I served mine over baby red and green romaine, which I am really keen on right now. It's somewhat spendy but good. I made some croutons from stale white Italian bread, olive oil, chopped garlic, salt pepper, and chopped fresh parsley. I just put it in my little counter top convection over for about 10 minutes on 350. I so prefer them over the boxed kind.

Once again, I am feeling pressured to buy a new camera or to ask my sister the professional photographer for some free lessons. Only trouble - she lives in Florida.

One a side note, I received a gift card to this dreamy place. My boss clearly knows my weakness for kitchen goodies and housewares. I spent the gift card on the website last night. Perhaps my favorite purchase is this ruffled cake stand. I love the giant cupcake, also! And look at that manicure!






No comments: