Friday, May 23, 2008

zuppa di lenticchie, ya'll!

Here's is some lentil soup with garlic chili oil that I made from the homemade chicken stock that I carried on about for like 3 paragraphs. What can I say, it was that good. The lentil soup is a variation of a lentil soup from Mario Batali. I added 2 lbs. of diced, peeled, seeded tomatoes (about 6 Roma tomatoes or 28 ounces of canned tomatoes) and I used Vidalia onion since I really do not like to cook with red onion. Well, that is mostly true since I do love red onion cooked with raspberries. It is awesome on steak. Anyway, the soup was really very good. I also did not have the Italian Lentils that Mario calls for named Castelluccio Lentils. I really prefer petite French lentil when I cook lentils. They are brown, small and have a nice earthy taste. I enjoyed the chili oil very much with the lentil soup but the soup would be good without it, too. The recipe can be found here.

I am really very glad that I have a three day weekend coming up here in more hours than I care to count down. I plan to do nothing but clean house and make cute things that will hopefully improve my mood which has been less than stellar the last few days. Happy Memorial Day to everyone; have great cookouts!

No comments: