Tuesday, May 6, 2008

May Day festivities

Our church has a May Fair every year on the first Saturday of May. It is a fun time. That's the May Pole after the children danced around it and wrapped it in ribbon and there is the lovely colonial sanctuary in the background. It was really a positively dreamy day, you know? Warm and clear and lovely. I grew up in northeast Florida and lived there until I was 24. I've lived a somewhat nomadic life in the few years since making stops in Ohio, Michigan, and now Maryland. I believe that of all the places I have lived, Maryland has the most delightful Springs. I find it hard to put into words how incredible the landscape here truly is. I think partly it is the historicity of the place and also the preservation of rural qualities. I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "keep it rural" - funny right? To take a urban expression like "keep it real" or maybe I am a dork and over thinking this as usual.

There was a pony ride! Ok, not a pony ride but rather two giant Clydesdale's that pulled a wagon. I did not go on a wagon ride but I did pet the giant ponies on the nose.

This is a beagle named Kirby. I love him! My beagles really love Kirby, too! It was a lot of tri-colored fur with the three of them all together. This picture is of Kirby shortly after he was blessed in the blessing of the animals. I think he looks very happy to have received a blessing.

Here are some bright purple pansies from the flower sale. I didn't buy purple pansies, I bought some fresh herbs and some light pink. I need to buy pots for them all.

There was a moon bounce that looked like a castle and had a smiling dragon on the roof. I'm glad the dragon was smiling or else it would have been super scary for me! The kids loved the moon bounce.

All in all it was a great day. There was also a band outside and then a gospel choir inside the sanctuary but I did not get pictures of those. Having moved from Detroit just 2 years ago, I am amazed at how quickly I have adjusted to and actually prefer this type of life. It is indeed bucolic in every way.

No comments: