Wednesday, September 17, 2008

camera talk

I realize that I named my last post grumpy and camera talk and there was no camera talk. I am obviously looking for a point and shoot digital camera but I need to be able to do close up shoots of food, inside. My last camera took really pretty pictures outside from about 3 - 5 feet. Here is a run down of the models I have done a little research on and want to see in person -

The Canon powershot A80. This camera comes highly recommended from its users and I like the looks of it. This camera only weight 8.8 ounces, which is important when you have to lug it around to baseball games or on long walks with beagles. This camera retails for about $150 new. I would be happy with a used one, provided it was in really good shape. Not that $150 is so much money (it's really inexpensive in the world of digital cameras), it is just I wonder who takes care of all the orphan electronics out there? Seriously, I am not so consumed with having new stuff. Except for shoes... I just can't wear someone elses shoes. Anyway, this camera is 8.0 megapixel, 4x optical/ 4x digital zoom and has a 2.5" LCD. I like this camera but I am not ready to go steady or anything. I might let it carry my books to class.

Fuji fine pix J10

Pretty, right? I think so... I like the name, also... just say it... Fuji. It's so soothing sounding. Fuji. This camera with 10 megapixels, 5x optical/5.7 x digital zoom and 3' LCD screen retails for about $200. Again, a used one ould be fine with me. I really like the look of this camera but looks aren't everything in life and cameras too, I suspect.

Kodak Easyshare 10.7 megapixel

I believe the Fuji camera stole all the beauty from this camera... or maybe the Kodak Easyshare is the Picture of Dorian Grey for the Fuji. All that to say that this camera is ugly. Really ugly. My favortie thing about the specs on this camera is this line "Through a 28mm wide-angle Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon optical zoom lens." because I have no clue at all what that means! Seriously, despite its hideous appearance this is a lot of camera for about $300 new. Again, used cameras can always come live at my house. I don't mind. So, it is 10.7 megapixel, 15x optical/ 5x digital zoom and has a high ISO sensitivity that "Allows you to capture rich, lifelike colors in low light without a flash." Then there's this line, "Offers continuous clear focus as close as 6" in macro mode." I think that once you cross the $300 threshold for digital cameras, you get a lot more camera.

Anyway, those are my top 3. Obviously, I don't want to spend a bunch of money. I am curious if anyone has a camera that they would highly recommend? Nothing over $350... I guess. It's just that I can think of about 1 million things I would rather spend money on, you know? My sister is coming to visit and is bringing her camera and said that she thinks I will like it so much that I will want one like it. I am not sure what brand/model it is, but I am excited to get to "test drive" it all over Philly, DC, and Baltimore at the end of the month.

No comments: