Wednesday, July 2, 2008

the birds and the bees...

I saw a number of American gold finches around the farm when the weather first started to warm up and then they were completely scarce. I think it was just too hot. I put out a finch feeder on a friend's advice and it is true - if you feed them, they will come. I saw 5 at one time on the feeder last night. Such lovely little birds, such bright yellow and a pretty song to sing, too. They are a little "twitchy" but I cannot really blame them there since they are prey to all sorts of things. I cannot get a picture of them as the smallest movement sends them flying and if I do it from inside, I will have to remove a window screen which I am not going to do. The drawing above is from a field guide for birds. Well, the field guide is for humans and is about birds. As for the finch feeder, I bought the cheapest one I could find since I really didn't want to waste money on the thing if the finches weren't going to like it. The only draw back is that the feeder does not attract other wild birds since they cannot eat out of it. These are the types of moments my life lacked in Detroit, you know? Feeding birds and that being really a peaceful-bringing experience. I am so happy to have found out about myself on a farm in the middle of nowhere.

Speaking of being twitchy, I took the beagles out this morning for their morning bathroom break. There was a bee or yellow fly or something that was buzzing terribly loudly! It must have been a fly since it was buzzing my head very closely. Anyway, the thing must have buzzed Huck and I never knew that he was afraid of bugs but he really had a very human reaction to the experience! Even when we went into the enclosed porch, he still seemed creeped out about the bug, looking back nervously over his shoulder. Too funny and very cute, actually.

The man who lives with me is coming home later tonight, which is really great. I have missed him this week, although I noticed this morning that the tub is really still very clean for a Thursday. Since he has been on an urban immersion mission trip where the participants get to simulate the experience of homelessness, I am sure he will dirty that tub up in no time!

Okay, happy 4th of July to everyone! Now go and celebrate your county's independence by blowing up a small part of it! (I think that is from the Simpsons.)

No comments: