Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Simple and tasty



My husband and I both really enjoy this meal. I think the recipe might be from Real Simple magazine originally, but I am not sure. Spinach is one possibility here -- escarole works or arugula would be tops, really. I served this was saffron risotto but I think next time I will add some little fingerling potatoes to the mix. Prosciutto would be good in there, too.

Spinach with Italian Sausage and White Beans

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 lbs. of Italian sausages
2 small onions cut in wedges
2 cloves of minced garlic
5 cups of baby spinach leaves, washed with the stems removed
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 15-ounce cans Cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
1/2 cup chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Brown sausage on each side and cook until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer sausage to bowl, leaving drippings in pot. Add onion to pot and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes. Mix in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add wine and cook 2 minutes. Add beans, stock and sausage and simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors. Add spinach and cook until just wilted, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to large bowl. Top with grated Parmesan, if desired.

I need to reorganize the categories on my blog. I guess I was being somewhat short sighted when I started. I don't think I trusted myself to really follow through for the long term on blogging but I really do enjoy blogging my recipes and pictures, even if no one else really reads it. Anyhoo, I want to be able to find each recipe more readily so I think I will start labeling the recipes by ingredient and meal time. So, this is recipes, sausage, beans, dinner. Yes? That might be rather too specific but I will forge ahead that way and see what happens.

No comments: