Friday, August 22, 2008

all things Cuban

I have long wanted to go to Cuba. I don't know what the appeal is really. I think it is all wrapped up in Ernest Hemingway, old cars, and 1950's Hollywood glamor. Oh, and food. Yeah, food is generally the motivating force behind much of what I do and want to do in life. Heck, the only reason I work is so I can eat. My sewing hobby is also wrapped up in food - keeping my hands busy keeps me from eating, right?


Which brings me to the Cuban sandwich. I do not know how Cuban this thing really is. For all I know it is Cuban the way Olive Garden is Italian and that is to say not at all. I do love this sandwich of ham, roast pork, cheese, cheap yellow mustard, dill pickles, and awesome grilled bread but it is always the man I call my husband who thinks to eat this for dinner. Smart man! Alton Brown made one on his episode called "Sandwich craft" and I must confess here that I love Alton Brown's hokey, goofey names for things but I feel nothing but distaste when another Foodtv chef calls a dish, "Cashew! God bless you chicken!" Hmmm... I wonder about my fickleness sometimes.

No comments: