Monday, March 31, 2008

Orzo with bacon, sundried tomatoes, and asparagus



I love dishes where the name is the recipe. This is orzo with bacon, sundried tomatoes, and asparagus and that is what is in there. My 8th wedding anniversary was on Friday and I wanted to make something nice for the man who married me. We had this orzo along with a stuffed chicken similiar to this one here.

For the orzo -
1/2 pound box orzo
5 strips of bacon cooked crisp and the fat reserved
1 bunch of slender asparagus cut into bite size pieces and tough ends discarded
4 ounces of sundried tomatoes, rinsed of oil and cut into strips
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 tablesponns Italian parsley, chopped
Kosher salt and pepper to taste

Cook the orzo in well salted water and drain. Heat reserved bacon fat in a large saute' pan over medium heat and add the asparagus. Season with salt and pepper. Saute' until cooked and slightly browned. Normally I blanche asparagus and then saute' but lately I have had good luck finding nice tender stalks of asparagus. Add cooked orze, sundried tomatoes, and parsley and saute' until heated through. Finish with olive oil and bacon.

Some nice additions would be pinenuts and fresh thyme. Also, I make this sometimes without the asparagus and tomatoes but add in petite peas and basil instead.

No comments: